Lima


Tuesday and Wednesday 17 and July 18, 2012

Spent time in the Callao district at Pay Purix Backpackers Hostel, I walked around a bit but the neighborhood is not the best for tourists so I did not venture to go take pictures (or maybe was I just shy to go out much on my first few days) or go far from the hostel. Wednesday evening I met Antonio from CouchSurfing, he picked me and we went for a ride in the center of Lima and it was very interesting. We then took the road towards the Miraflores where he has an apartment. We went to eat in a small restaurant and for 15 soles (5.80$ Can.) ''It's expensive for here, but I please myself to it since I don't have a room to pay'', I had a big plate of chicken skewers with potato and corn. Then we went to his place.

IMG_1776

Thursday, July 19, 2012


I left the apartment around 9am in the morning towards the Pacific Ocean which is only a few blocks away. I walk for a while following the road up the cliff before finding the road that went down to the beach. I went down for a while and retraced my steps to go in the opposite direction towards the Barranco district. I walked the streets and everywhere before returning to the apartment at around 4pm. Spent the evening working on the blog.

IMG_1803  IMG_1841

Friday, July 20, 2012

I left early in the morning at around 8:30 to go in the Victoria district where the centers for buses that go to Tarma mostly are (Luna Pizarro Ave, the bus company's Junin, for 30 soles, that’s 11.60$ Can). No chance, no daily buses on that day. Would I have known I would have taken my time this morning and would have come a bit later.  The only bus available is at 8pm only. I buy my ticket and decided to go into the center of Lima to pass the time.

At a while I sit down to rest from the weight of my bag and a man of about 50 years old just sits down with me and starts asking lots of questions, where I come from, why I'm here, what’s my age. Curiosity on his part, I answer is question the best I can by saying that I'm from Canada, I'm traveling to Peru on a long term travel, I'm 36. I told him also that I am leaving in the evening for Tarma and then be going to Huancayo. He is very happy and told me he is from Huancayo and he is glad to hear that tourists go there. We talked for about 10 minutes and in that time he shook my hands about 5 times. After he left, the man in the shop across from where I was sitting waves at me to go see him. He also asked me where I come from and offers to me a free bottle of orange juice, a pack of soda like crackers and another pack of sweet cookies. I thank him politely and resume my walk to slowly return towards the Victoria district.


In the last few days I thought that it was cloudy and I realize it's more smog above Lima than clouds. So I decided to eat as it was close to 1pm, I ate in a small restaurant near the university for only 7 soles (2.71$ Can), a plate of chicken (I do not remember the name) with potatoes and rice with green tea, delicious.


At 3pm, after another short walk, I spend some time in another park needing to spend time, people are curious and some others also ask me where I’m from. I think I should do the cleaning of my bag and take a little more out, because over a long period of walking it comes to be pretty heavy. So I spent a few hours in the park and decide to go back to the terminal before dark to 6pm. I found myself a few snacks, but I do not want to overeat because I know that the rise in altitude in bus can cause stomachaches. So I waited at the terminus until around 8:30 before the bus arrives, it is always possible that the buses are late in Peru that’s what I was told, so I do not care for my waiting. So we leave from Lima at 8:45.

During the beginning of the ride I sleep for about 3H, then I woke up with a bit of stomachaches (which I never normally have) and I feel my head a little lighter. The rise in altitude begins to take it’s effect on me, after a while I wonder if I'll pass out, luckily I'm on the side of the windows and the glass is almost cold, I lay my forehead on it and it helps a lot. Luckily it's at night and everyone’s asleep (almost).

I survived and I arrived in Tarma to 3:30 in the morning, I ask someone where the El Dorado Hostel is and the man told me that at this time I should not walk around the streets and that it's a bit far, he suggests a mototaxi to go to for one sole (0.39$ Can), I'm exhausted and opt for his suggestion. At the hostel, I take a room for 15 soles (5.80$ Can) without even seeing it, all I want is to sleep.

I have been shy on pictures and will take more in the future. I'm sorry that I did because I don't get to show everyone and to not get to look back at these places.

1 comment:

  1. Cé malade de te lire norm! jespere t'a tete a pris du mieu lol :)

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics